Community Music Center
544 & 552 Capp Street
Unification of Victorian Property and Concert Hall
Mark Cavagnero & Associates
Capital Campaign Funds
New Market Tax Credits
Founded in 1921, the San Francisco Community Music Center (CMC) has operated their music education programs in a 3,861sf, two story, wood Victorian house built in 1870 at 544 Capp St. in San Francisco’s Mission District. It’s received numerous modifications, repairs, upgrades and additions. Most significant was the addition of a 2,157sf Concert Hall at the rear of the property in 1926. In 2012, CMC purchased the single family Victorian house next door, at 552 Capp St. This 3,074sf, two story wood structure, over a partial basement was built around 1885. An additional structure behind the house was constructed in 1953. A combined square foot total of both addresses is 9,611.
The project seeks to unify both properties and to meet various programmatic goals and code related requirements. In addition to teaching studios of various sizes, the project includes administrative space, food service facilities, new bathrooms, storage, and improved circulation and access. The Concert Hall will be upgraded for better acoustics, and a recording studio added. Improvements to the exterior of the buildings include a new handicap accessible ramp, new stairs from the street to the courtyard, preservation of a stone wall at the street, upgrades to utilities and drainage, improved lighting and security, and upgrades to the patios and courtyard. Interior upgrades to the buildings include seismic upgrades, accessibility improvements. Full basements will be added to all of the buildings. A relatively transparent lobby will be added to the Concert Hall to provide acoustic separation. A two story addition will be added to the east side of 544 Capp St. to provide a faculty lounge and additional teaching rooms.Fact Sheet